Friday, July 13, 2007

Respecting One's Elders Did Have A Few Exceptions

One thing that seems to have endured more in the South than in other parts of the country is how many adults doggedly cling to the requirement for developing youth to properly address their elders in a respectful manner. As a rule, this meant using names like Mr. Smith, Mrs. Jones, or Miss Lee (assuming she was over 18 years of age). And when asked a question, the reply was not yes or no (yeah or naw would result in a death sentence for the offender), it was Yes, Sir or No, Ma'am. These rules were generally firm, fixed, and inflexible. But there were exceptions.

There were probably more exceptions than quickly come to mind, but the one that I always think of is Miss Bessie. I was probably in my teens before I really knew that her full name was Bessie Cowan, but it certainly didn't matter. Everyone in town, regardless of their age, knew her as Miss Bessie. No one would have recognized the name Miss Cowan.

Miss Bessie likely holds a special place in the hearts of lots of kids that grew up in Moss Point's Presbyterian Church. She does in mine. My memories of her picture a very small woman with snow white hair that was always done in tight curls. Although Southerners sometimes take liberties and apply the title "Miss" to women who are or have been married, marriage was never a part of Miss Bessie's life. Maybe that's why she loved every child in the church as she did; we were her kids. She taught every beginners class (which began when you entered the first grade) for years and was absolutely tireless in preparing and participating in Vacation Bible School (VBS) each summer.

My memories of Miss Bessie include three small events. Small, that is, if you look at them in terms of their time and effort. But each of them had a profound impact on my life.

The first was during a VBS session when she challenged each of us to actively ask our friends to come the next day. "Don't ask just one, ask them all". And I asked a few. And a couple came. Miss Bessie would smile and ask if those were the only friends I had. So I asked more. And so did others. And by the end of the week, we had, by far, the largest group ever assembled for a VBS. And on the last day, Miss Bessie told us about being 'Fishers of Men'. She even passed out fishing lures to the boys. We didn't know what words like witnessing or evangelizing meant. But Miss Bessie sure did.

Miss Bessie was the person who taught us the Ten Commandments. We each were assigned one and not only learned it but stood before an audience and told them what it meant. I was given 'Honor thy Father and Mother....". And I did.

And there is no way to tell how many children received their first Bible from Miss Bessie. I seem to remember that a small white New Testament was given to every Sunday School student who had perfect attendance for a year. But somehow, I suspect that Miss Bessie made sure that every child got one regardless of whether or not they met the attendance standard.

I don't think that anyone can put a value on being mentored by people like Miss Bessie Cowan. There was a popular book that came out a few years ago entitled, "Everything I Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten". Miss Bessie beat that author by fifty years in Sunday School.

No comments: